MHG1094 - Broch, Burg Ruaidh

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Burg Ruadh (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1871)

Broch, 'Burg Ruadh': About half a mile N of the Berriedale Water and two miles NW of Borgue are the ruins of Burg Ruadh: The broch wall on the exterior is in great measure exposed, and on the N where best preserved, it is visible for a height of 7ft and is concealed at its base by some 4ft of ruin. The entrance is not evident and the wall thickness is unobtainable without excavation. At various points, openings into the galleries or chambers are visible. The greatest elevation is some 14ft. There are indications of outbuildings towards S.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

Generally as described above. The overall diameter of broch is 16m, but it is impossible to determine the wall thickness. A good stretch of the outer face is exposed on N side, where it stands to a height of some 2m; part of a stairway has been exposed on the same side. The broch appears to have been enclosed by a stone wall and there are traces of (? later) buildings between this wall and the broch. Visited by OS (W D J) 23 June 1960.

(ND 1160 2852) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1965)

As described by previous authorities; the mural gallery at first floor level is exposed intermittently around the whole periphery. The outer defence is clearly visible in N arc, where the facings of boulders are apparent indicating a thickness of approx 1.7m, and around S side, where it survives as a stony scarp. There is such a quantity of stone debris, largely turf-covered, S of broch, that there must have been outbuildings in this sector, but no structural remains can be identified.
(The broch is known locally as "Borgroy" {phonetically}, but no local inhabitant was found who knew the correct spelling. OS in 1871 and RCAHMS give the name 'Burg Ruadh'. OS 6" map (1965) applies name 'Borgue Roy' to vicinity, which is erroneous.)
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 November 1982.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 56-7, No. 207 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1159 2852 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND12NW
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.