MHG1098 - Broch - An Dun
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
An Dun (NAT) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1964)
Broch, 'An Dun': On top of the steep banks in angle between the Allt an Duin and Berriedale Water, stands the ruins of a broch. The tower occupies the centre of a hillock and has been encircled at its base by a ditch, 16ft width and some 6ft depth on SW, but less well defined on the other portion of the periphery. The entrance, which has been from the W, is 2ft 6ins in width but is much broken down. On left of the passage has been a guard chamber, the back of which is visible at 14ft back from the wall of the passage. The diameter of broch overall has been 46ft, and thickness of its wall, 11ft. The greatest height of wall exposed on both faces is about 3ft. To SW of entrance, a break in the counterscarp of the ditch gives access to a small circular enclosure dug out of the bank with a diameter of c11ft. Visited 1910. <1>
The broch was Scheduled in 1939.
Generally as described by RCAHMS, broch now in v dilapidated condition, and is some 14m in diameter over walls about 3.7m thick, now reduced to 1m in height. The interior is a mass of rubble. On NE side there are traces of possibly three ditches, but the N and E segments have been mutilated by later crofting activities. A small compartment, measuring some 5.6 by 4m, has been dug out of the enclosing bank, SW of entrance.
Visited by OS (W D J) 4 July 1960.
An Dun, a broch with outer defences, as described.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 9 November 1982.
The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016 to include a larger area. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to location on OS MasterMap. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 54, No. 203 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<2> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM518 An Dun, broch Berriedale (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27776.
<3> Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Mastermap (Image/Map). SHG23361.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 54, No. 203.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM518 An Dun, broch Berriedale. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1033 2491 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM518 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8068 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.