MHG11025 - Church & graveyard, Ascoile, Strath Brora
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Thumbnail Photo - showing view of graveyard, from E.
Taken by J Aitken : 08/02/03
NC81SW 8 8236 1109.
(NC 8236 1108) Graveyard (NAT)
OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
There are 8 gravestones which bear inscriptions, comprising 4 headstones (including one fallen face-up), two tablestones, a large granite block dedicated to the loving memory of Walter Parkyn Tyser, of Gordonbush, March 5th 1867, May 5th 1944, and of his eldest son, John Walter George Tyser, Lt. K.R.R.C., missing presumed killed, on active service abroad, 17th January 1924, 26th December 1943, also his widow Jessie, 22nd June 1893, 3rd August 1978. A broken column stone is dedicated to a James D Crowlie, who was overtaken by a snowstorm on his way from Knockeim to Benarmine in February 1866. There are also some flatstones which are partially visible, being mostly obscured with a covering of turf and grass. No inscriptions could be identified on these. There are probably other stones also buried in the graveyard. It was noted that the gate into the graveyard was possibly made in the local area by a resident smithy as it is similar in design and construction to the gate at Clynekirkton graveyard. The boundary wall is in poor condition, with 4 sections of significant collapsed walling badly in need of repair. An investigation of the adjacent field to the south of the graveyard, identified several pieces of slag found in molehills mainly from the lower part of the field.
Graveyard visited by J Aitken : 08/02/03
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
There is a church at Aschoile, about 8m from the parish church. The inhabitants have of late begun to bury their dead there. The church is in a poor state of repair.
The graveyard is a walled enclosure 26.0m long ENE to WSW by 5.0m at its eastern end widening to 10.5m at its western end. There are about a dozen gravestones, the earliest legible date being 1790, though some stones bearing only initials may well be earlier.
The footings of several buildings lie to the west of the graveyard (see NC81SW 9 - 'Ascoile' depopulation but none could be identified as the remains of the church mentioned by OSA (1794). Enquiries as to its site were fruitless.
Visited by OS (R D L) 28 April 1964.
No change since report of 28 April 1964.
Visited by OS (J B) 18 December 1975.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8235 1109 (29m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6634 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.