MHG11080 - Chambered Cairn, Achcheargary
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC75NW 16 7194 5500.
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1964)
Amended Scheduling Details - Letter received from HS, 31/01/03.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 20/02/03
A large round cairn, measuring some 77ft N-S and 70ft E-W. The top has been removed, exposing somewhat to N of centre, three slabs, apparently end and sides of a chamber which does not appear to have been cleared out. The length of chamber from E to W, as far as exposed, is 7ft and its width about 5ft. One stone protrudes about 1ft 2ins at E end, and upper portion of one is visible on each side. That on N has been slightly displaced. The present height of cairn is about 7ft. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
A round, chambered cairn further disturbed and robbed since 1909, but two slabs are still visible in centre, though only one appears to be in situ.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957.
This chambered cairn has been reduced to a grass-covered mound, 22m in diameter and 0.5m high on the north and 2m high on the south, with a few scattered stone protruding. The chamber is indicated by the tops of two slabs.
Visited by OS (J L D) 3 May 1960.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 15 Decembr 1978.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 84, No. 244 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 306, SUT 4 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 84, No. 244.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 306, SUT 4.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7194 5500 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1760 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1760 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6217 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.