MHG11132 - Croislach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Situated on a SW facing moderate slope and river terrace at an altitude of 99m-103m OD in rough pasture.
Information added by A M Fox, Highland Council Archaeology Unit, 17.04.00.
NC 7792 1585. An abandoned enclosure of an 18th to 19th century settlement
NC71NE 4 centred on 778 158.
(NC 778 158) Croislach (OS 6" map, 1972), a depopulated settlement shown as 'Crislich', a group of four buildings with arable, in 1747 (Roy 1747-55) and noted as occupied by a small tenant and under crop in 1812 (Adam 1972). It was in ruins by 1872 (ONB 1872).
W Roy 1747-55; Name Book 1872; R J Adam 1972.
The centre of the area of depopulation is occupied by a modern sheepfold. Around this are the faint outlines of several rectangular buildings consisting of turf banks about 0.2m high and ranging in size from 28m by 4m to 4m by 4m. The remains of an enclosing bank can be traced round the north side of this area and to the north of this bank are several crude, sub-rectangular boulder-walled enclosures.
A township comprising three unroofed buildings, three enclosures, two fields and part of a head-dyke, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxxvii). Two roofed and five unroofed buildings, three enclosures, two fields and part of a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 October 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7773 1577 (473m by 368m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6032 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.