MHG1135 - Cross Slab, Clach Na Ciplich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
'Clach na Ciplich', Cross Slab: About 1 mile S by W of Thulachan, on highest point of the watershed, 600ft OD, is Clach na Ciplich, a thin sandstone slab, measuring 4ft by 2ft and 3ins thick. It faces NE and SW; on the latter face is incised a crude cross, measuring 2ft 6ins in length and 1ft 2ins across the arms. The slab is broken in three pieces.
T Sinclair 1890; RCAHMS 1911. <1><2>
ND 1056 3940. Cross slab remains as described by RCAHMS. It has sunk further into peaty knoll on which it stands, but it can be lifted out.
Visited by OS (J L D) 28 May 1960.
The broken right hand piece of slab is now missing.
DES 1977. <3>
Clach na Ciplich (NAT) Cross Slab (NR) OS 6" map, (1962)
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 4 March 1982.
photo (RCAMS), photo
A photograph of this site was submitted by a visitor to the HER website in August 2008. <4>
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
<1> Thomas Sinclair, 1890, The Gunns, 188 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2869.
<2> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 42, No. 149; illust (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<3> DES, 1977, 'Small finds', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1977, p.40-5, 41 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1514.
<4> Glass, D, Photographs of various HER sites submitted by David Glass (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23870.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas Sinclair. 1890. The Gunns. 188.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 42, No. 149; illust.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: DES. 1977. 'Small finds', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1977, p.40-5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 40-5. 41.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Glass, D. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by David Glass. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1055 3940 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8121 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.