MHG1153 - Celtic Cross, West Byres, Latheron
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
A stone incised with a portion of a Celtic cross is built into the W wall of the old barn by the roadside, about 1/4 mile S of Latheron Post Office. Measuring 2ft 3ins long by 1ft 1ins broad, it is situated 3ft 9ins above the ground, 13ft from the N end of the wall. The upper arm of the cross and the greater part of the side arms have gone but the stem remains for a length of 1ft 6ins and increases in width from 6ins at the intersection to 8 1/2ins at its present termination. The angles at the points of intersection are filled with circular discs 2ins in diameter. RCAHMS 1911.
This stone, at ND 1981 3315, is as described by the RCAHMS.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 25 March 1968.
Not located. Possibly removed to a local garden (info from G Watson, Thurso).
C E Batey 1982
This cross-slab is now at ND 1990 3341, built into the wall coming off SE corner of the farmhouse at Latheron Mains, at a distance of 6.8m from the corner.
Visited by OS (JM) 14 October 1982.
Latheron 3, Caithness, cross-slab fragment
Measurements: H 0.69m, W 0.33m
Stone type: sandstone
Place of discovery: ND 1981 3315
Present location: West Byres, Latheron
Evidence for discovery: found built into the W wall of a barn.
Present condition: broken but carving good.
The shaft and central part of cross-head of an incised cross survives, with closed-circle armpits (5mm in diameter), and a hint that the arms were expanded.
Date: eighth or ninth century.
Ear;y Medieval Carved Stones Project, A Ritchie 2016
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Cross-Slab, Latheron.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No.LAT 256.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 8143.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 82, No. 298.
- --- Verbal Communication: Macgregor, Mr. 1997. Chapel Stones site, Latheron.
- --- Text/Correspondence: Stell, G. 2020. West Byre, Latheron Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1989 3341 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8143 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.