MHG11595 - Chambered Cairn - Kinbrace Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC82NE 7 8754 2873.
(NC 87542873) Cairn (NR).
OS 6"map, (1962)
A cairn which has been considerably robbed and mutilated leaving only a circular rim of stones, partly turf and heather covered. It has a diameter of 19m and an average height of 0.3m. Within the circle, large slabs suggest the remains of chambers, and many small stones are scattered about.
Visited by OS (E G C) 27 May 1961
An Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a polygonal chamber, now robbed to little more than its foundation, the edge being difficult to trace. The entrance has been from the ENE. The passage is indicated by two large slabs just protruding from the cairn material, and the entrance to the chamber by the north stone of a transversely set pair. The slabs of the chamber protrude to a maximum height of 1' 6".
A S Henshall 1972
No change to previous field report.
Revised at 1/10,000
Visited by OS (J B) 14 January 1977
A much ruined cairn with the remains of a chamber of Orkney-Cromarty type alongside ruined foundations and the remains of a stack yard. A terrace between the afforested hillside to the NE and the arable fields to the SW. Only the NE quadrant of the cairn survives, but a diameter of about 24.4m can be detected as well as a height of, at most 0.6m. Several slabs of the chamber; which was probably entered from the ENE, remain, the passage being indicated by two slabs (one upright and one fallen). One transverse slab and the tip of one side slab of the N side of the outer compartment as well as the back slab, survive. The tops of the innermost of the transverse slabs and the back slab have been reduced by bashing.
Visited by RCAHMS (JNGR and DCC) 31 July 1991
- --- SHG2669 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cowley, D.C., Dixon, P.J. and Ritchie, J.N.G.. 1993. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. RCAHMS. . Paper and Digital.
- --- SHG358 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). Vol. 2, 585, No. 65.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8754 2873 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3326 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6677 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.