MHG11746 - Broch; Skelbo Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch lies beside woodland path, recently cleared of trees, but overgown at time of visit. Lies on side of slope and would have had extensive views before tree planting. Main central structure has occasional stones visible, some quite large, dip in centre perhaps 1m plus deep. Possible outer structures. Appears to be outer defensive wall all around at short distance. - HAW 8/2003
(NH 7820 9443) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1960)
On a low knoll in Skelbo Wood are remains of a broch, now a structureless overgrown ruin. No wall faces are visible, but overall diameter appears to be about 60ft.
A wall surrounds broch at a distance of 17ft, increasing in the NE arc where an enclosure, 37ft long by 20ft wide, has been formed by walls crossing the interspace. To the E (S) of this enclosure is a break in the rampart. The space between it and the broch has been levelled, suggesting the position of the broch entrance.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The remains of a broch, as described by RCAHMS At one point outer wall can be seen to be of rubble construction, but is too overgrown elsewhere for further analysis.
The walls crossing the interspace in NE are curved, and the "rampart" between them is destroyed, or pushed outwards, forming a sub-circular area about 12m in diameter. Another ruined wall crosses interspace in the SSW, and, like the others, is probably later. Visited by OS (R L) 4 November 1969.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 37-8, No. 106 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland, 2008, Skelbo Wood, Broch 300m SW of Glen Cottage (Text/Report/Management Plan). SHG23380.
- --- Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. Skelbo Wood, Broch 300m SW of Glen Cottage. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 37-8, No. 106.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7820 9444 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1885 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1885 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14849 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.