MHG11752 - Chambered Cairn, Evelix Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Dornoch Heritage Soc Site 38
(NH 7634 9000) Evelix: Round cairn, Orkney-Cromarty type, possibly with polygonal chamber. The cairn has been almost entirely removed and E edge has been curtailed by ploughing. Only a slight ridge on NE edge indicates its probable extent implying a diameter of c70ft. Chamber has been built with massive irregular boulders, a number of which remain in situ.
The entrance has been from ESE. On this side is a pair of stones set 3' 3" apart. Six feet to W is pair of side slabs set 4' 4" apart, and beyond this has been a pair of transverse slbas of which only W stone remains. Beyond these stones there has been a compartment about 7' wide, with N and S stones. 8 feet further W is a group of 4 lower stones which are difficult to interpret, though they may appear to be arranged in relation to the main axis of the chamber.
If they represent the inner end of the chamber then it has been at the very least 26' long. The W pair of these stones, which have the appearance of being portal or divisional slabs are set at an oblique angle to the main axis of the chamber. The top of the long stone to the SE of them is flush with the turf and may represent a side stone, while the higher eastermost slab, again set an an angle to the axis, suggests the S partner of yet another pair of divisional slabs.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963.
NH 7634 8999 An Orkney-Cromarty chambered cairn as described and planned by Henshall.
Surveyed at 1/2500
Visited by OS (A A) 25 March 1971.
Photographs of this chambered cairn were submitted to the HER by Dougie Scott in February 2011. <1>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 49-50, No. 143; plan (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 318, SUT 28; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<1> Scott, D, 2010-11, Photographs and information from Douglas Scott (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25031.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 49-50, No. 143; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 318, SUT 28; plan.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7635 8999 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1789 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1789 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14617 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.