MHG1176 - Broch, Latheronwheel Bridge
A relatively undisturbed broch.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
ND13SE 5 1865 3260.
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)
Broch: A mound about 10ft in height almost entirely covered by vegetation. On S side a wall some 10ft long and 2 to 3ft high is exposed and a portion of what appears to be an outer casing wall. The diameter of the structure over all is some 53ft. Some forty human skulls are said to have been found many years ago in excavation, no record of which exists.
RCAHMS 1911. <1>
The remains of a broch, as described by RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 15 March 1968.
No change. The portion of outer casing or lining wall is 0.9m thick. Visited by OS (J M) 14 October 1982.
The broch mound has been built to form part of the field wall where it bulges around broch to S. Mound visible above this - see photos. <2>
This broch was visited during the Caithness Coastal Survey 1982 and found to be as described. It measures 16.15m in diameter and 3.05m in height. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 58, No. 212 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<2> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 08/2003 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<3> Batey, C E, 1984, Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale, LAT 261 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG1958.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 58, No. 212.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 08/2003.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). LAT 261.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 18657 32616 (22m by 21m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:565 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM565 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8169 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.