MHG11882 - Caistel Nan Corr
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWER HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CASTLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Caisteal nan Corr (NR) (remains of) (NAT)
The remains of a small rectangular castle in a low-lying meadow which has been almost formed into an island by river. The remains are fragmentary, NW wall having entirely disappeared and others being so ruined that no details remains, but it seems to measure about 29ft by 23 ft over walls 7 ft thick, with no trace of vaulting. It appears to have been surrounded by a ditch. Various forms of name are given eg Castlenincorr (W Macfarlane 1906), Caisteal na Coire (Name Book 1894), Castlemearn (J Mackay 1897 and W Macfarlane 1906), or Caisteil Mearn (J Mackay 1897).
Revised at 1:2500.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; J Mackay 1894; Name Book 1874; W Macfarlane 1906; Visited by OS (R D L) 25 May 1963.
The name "Caisteal nan Corr" is not widely known locally; it is generally named "The Castle". It appears to have been an unvaulted, L-shaped tower-house, so severely robbed that only E wall, and parts of S & NE walls survive above ground, maximum height 2m, and a large part of this is obscured by tumble. The remainder of castle forming the L-shape is visible at best as vague turf-covered footings. The overall measurements are approximately 12.0m E to W by 11.0m N to S, the re-entrant angle being to the NE. The castle stands on a platform, raised about 0.3m above the surrounding flood-plain, and is bounded by a system of modern drainage ditches and wet depressions; some of these ditches may have incorporated a moat. Visited by OS (N K B) 1 November 1976.
Examination of the site revealed that the S wall has the fragmentary remains of a scarcement. Part of a sandstone rotary quern used as a "rubber", was found in the rubble. Retained by writer.
J E Kirby 1976.
The quern was donated to Inverness Museum in 1982. There was no wear on either sides of the stone and tool marks were not consistant with use as a quern stone. It was possibly used as a rubber or hone, and at somepoint reused a wall rubble infill. It was listed under Acc. No. 1982.189. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, J. 1897. 'Sutherland place names: parish of Lairg and Creich', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 20 1894-6, p.103-25. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 103-25. 116, 120.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 200, 202.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 18, No. 48.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 8.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Kirby, J E. 1976. 'Creich, Rosehall, Caisteal Nan Corr', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1976, p.65. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 65. 65.
- <1> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files. 1982.189.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4660 0122 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
- QUERN? (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4860 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.