MHG11897 - Broch - Creich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
A broch at Creich.
(NC 4116 1121) Broch (NR) OS 6"map, (1967)
The remains of a broch set on slope of hill, with ground falling sharply from site on N & E. The interior is filled with debris, the wall being nowhere visible for more than 5ft above it, reaching a maximum height of 11 ft externally and about 17ft internally on the NW. The south has been heavily robbed to build sheepfolds. The entrance passage in the east is still intact at its inner end and is 18ft 6 ins long, with a guard chamber on the north. An oval mural chamber 7ft south of the entrance is entered from the central court, as is a gallery which is visible within wall on S and W.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The broch was scheduled in 1935.
The broch still stands to a height of 3.5m on NW and has an overall diameter of 17.8m. Visited by OS (E G C) 7 April 1963.
The broch is as described above, although none of the internal features are particularly well-defined, all being obscured by tumbled stones. Visited by OS (J B) 30 September 1976.
The scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 12/10/2018. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 19, No. 49.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2018. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM1852: Dail Langwell, broch 1675m NW of Croich. Historic Environment Scotland. 15/10/2018. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4116 1121 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1852 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4882 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.