MHG11906 - Broch, Camus an Duin


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

(NC 4459 5797) Broch (NR) OS 6"map, (1961)

Broch or Dun, Camus an Duin: The remains of an elliptical structure with 5 ft wide entrance to seaward. Overall dimensions were about 55 ft by 42 ft. The indefinite outline of the N wall prevents an accurate measurement. Thickness of wall by the entrance is 14 ft, and on S side near centre, 10 ft. On S side of the entrance, the outer face of wall is 8 ft high, and for 43 ft around the circumference in that direction it still remains several feet in height, but beyond that it is overgrown with turf. At 4 ft from the outside on the right of the passage, a square-edged intake shows that there has been an entrance to a chamber or stair at this point. The interior on the S side is full of debris, and there are suggestions of chambers in the thickness of the wall. A circular depression about 3 1/2 ft across, near E end may be the site of a well. The edge of the rocks on loch side is 22 ft distant from the entrance and the approach appears to have been flanked with rubble mounds or walls on either side. The remains of steps leading to the shore are still visible. RCAHMS 1911.

This broch has been almost completely covered by additional buildings to the N of Kempie. All that is now visible is part of the N quadrant including the entrance, of which the lintel only can be seen. The wall stands to a maximum height of 1.3 m here. The steps, etc. to the shore have all disappeared. (For a possible reference to this broch, see NC45NW 7).
Visited by OS (W D J) 2 June 1959.

The remains of a broch, as described by the previous field investigator. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 October 1978.

RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 54, No. 157 (Text/Report). SHG2657.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NC 4458 5797 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC45NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DURNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.