MHG11939 - Monastery, Aodann Mhor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MONASTIC SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
NC46NW 5 407 693.
A pre-Norse monastic site occupies a peninsular rock lying parallel to cliffs and can be approached only by a dangerous knife-edge of rock. The rock-surface measures 36 yds by 10 yards with a seaward slope of at least 45 and bears two terraced rows of contiguous turf huts roughly 10ft square and one foundation 10 by 20ft. There are eight huts in the upper row but the lower row has been almost removed by wave scour. Nettles growing in the floors of the huts probably indicate an occupation deposit. A turf parapet runs along the upper side of the rock. ( cf: Kame of Isbister: HU39SE 4 etc).
Info contained in letter and plan from R G Lamb to OS 15 October 1971; R G Lamb 1971 and 1973.
This Celtic monastic site, defended on landward side by a rampart of earth and stone, is as described and planned by Lamb.
Surveyed at 1:2500 Visited by OS (N K B) 16 September 1977.
This site is included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- SHG453 Text/Publication/Article: Lamb, R G. 1974. 'Coastal settlements of the north', Scot Archaeol Forum Vol. 5 1973, p.76-98. Scot Archaeol Forum. 76-98. 76, 78, 79; plan.
- --- SHG688 Text/Publication/Article: Lamb, R G. 1971. 'Durness, possible monastic settlement', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1971, p.44. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 44. 44.
- <1> SHG27950 Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2782.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4076 6922 (71m by 86m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2782.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5392 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4952 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.