MHG12146 - Achriesgill Bridge

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CLAPPER BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NC25SE 8 2562 5408

(Location cited as NC 257 541). Clapper Bridge, Achriesgill, early 19th century. A 7-span clapper bridge with rubble piers.
J R Hume 1977.

This clapper bridge is probably nearly 200 years old, and has been superseded by a new road which runs over the stream on a (nearby) embankment with a tunnel for the water. The old bridge crosses the river at the best point in a steep valley, and at a point where the river is shallow and the bed pebbly.
The seven spans of the clapper bridge are supported on square rubble piers which are now mortared. The flags are visible as a layer between the top of the piers and the parapet-wall, which must be a secondary addition. The piers are 6ft (1.8m) high above the bed of the stream, the parapet is 3ft (0.9m) thick and the flagstone 5ins (127mm) thick. Infilling of the road material has reduced the inner height of the parapet to less than a foot (305mm).
G Nelson 1990.

This bridge carries the former line of the A801 public road over the Achriesgill Water, close to its entry into Achriesgill Bay.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 May 1998.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 2561 5407 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC25SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish EDDRACHILLIS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.