MHG12888 - Standing Stone, Invershin Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Undated)
Report from Ann Coombs that the quartzite scatter around the stone extends to perhaps 20m, quite visible. Small rough pieces - HAW 12/2003
NH59NE 3 5761 9673.
Standing Stone (NR). OS 6"map, (1970)
"A quadrangular standing stone facing north-south and measuring 5'5" in height above ground, 2'6" in breadth at base, and 1'5" near the upper end, and 1'4" in thickness. Some 4' to the S of it a stone, 5' in length and 7" to 8" in thickness, hog-backed in form, protrudes to a height of about 1' from the ground".
The stone is as described as is stone 4ft to south of it. Visited by OS (E G C) 8 June 1963.
These stones are as described by previous authorities. According to the farmer, (Mr Donald MacKay, Invershin Farm) large quantities of quartz are found in the vicinity of the stones whilst ploughing; much quartz was visible on the surface of the field which was under stubble at the time of investigation.
Visited by OS (N K B) 20 December 1976.
Photographs of this site were submitted to the HER by DouglasScott in February 2011. <1>
Nicki MacRae submitted a photograph of this site via the Highland HER Facebook page. <2>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 35, No. 96 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<1> Scott, D, 2010-11, Photographs and information from Douglas Scott (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25031.
<2> Highland Council, 2011, Highland HER Facebook page, Nicki MacRae, 02/04/2011 (Interactive Resource/Webpage). SHG25262.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 35, No. 96.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Nicki MacRae, 02/04/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5760 9673 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1791 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1791 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13012 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.facebook.com/HighlandHER (Highland HER Facebook page)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.