MHG1290 - Broch, Tulach Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Tulach Mor (NAT) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1963)
Broch, Tulach Mor: On a rock rising from edge of right bank of the Thurso River, about 2 miles above Westerdale, are the remains of a broch. Like broch of Carn na Mairg (ND15SW 22) it has been defended by a ditch of varying width, best preserved towards NE, the bottom of which is counterscarp. On NE, between top of the scarp and base of broch, there has existed a terrace some 20ft in width, diminishing in breadth as it approaches base of the tower on either side. At edge of this terrace, there has been a wall or parapet crowning scarp. The diameter of tower appears to have been about 54ft. On side above river, portions of walling appear at one or two places, suggesting that wall has either been greatly increased in thickness on that side, or that there has been building on the bank below to give stability to foundations. On side above river benk inner end of a chamber is visible, curving towards the S. A considerable amount of quarrying has taken place into the face of the terrace on the E side.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
The remains of this broch and its outworks are generally as described by the RCAHMS. The diameter of tower would appear to have been about 19m, but remains are too indefinite for measurement. The inner end of chamber referred to by RCAHMS can be seen in S quadrant, and a portion of walling can also be seen on the side of the mound below the chamber.
Visited by OS (W D J) 12 April 1961.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 22 February 1982.
AP : Broch, Thurso River. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11850.
AP : Broch. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11833.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3576.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 34, No. 108 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): AP : Broch.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): AP : Broch, Thurso River.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 34, No. 108.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1484 4939 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:593 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM593 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8246 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.