MHG12959 - Cist & beaker, Bealach Lice
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NC33NW 1 3357 3628.
NC 336 363. A short cist, containing a short-necked beaker, but with no signs of a burial, was found in November 1967, near the top of a gravel mound beside the road along Loch More.
The fragments of the beaker, damaged on discovery, have been given to the NMAS by the finder, Robert Ross, a roadman.
NMAS 1968; Information from The Northern Times (with photograph) 17 November 1967.
NC 336 362. Beaker, donated to the NMAS by R Ross, Achriesgill, Lairg. Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1971.
Three sides of the cist survive in the top side of an old gravel pit at NC 3357 3628. The N side is missing. The cist is oriented N-S. It measures 0.9m x 0.6m x 0.5m deep. It has been inserted into an old land surface and since covered by 0.5m of peat. No trace of a cairn. Three slabs, probably from the cist, lie below it in the bottom of the gravel pit. Visited by OS (J M) 20 August 1974.
No change to the previous field report.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 6 June 1980.
A vessel of Beaker pottery from Loch More listed in the NMS catalogue is likely to be the beaker referred to here. It is described in the catalogue as having an S profile with a cordon at the base of the neck and another on the shoulder, decorated with comb impressions; slanting lines across a flat rim, 7 horizontal lines on the neck, and horizontal lines below the upper cordon and above the lower cordon. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: NMAS. 1968. 'Loch More, Eddrachillis, short cist', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1968, p.44-5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 44-5. 44-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1971. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.292-297. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 292-297. 293.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EG 104.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 3356 3627 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4753 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.