MHG13029 - Chambered cairn - Ledbeg "B"
An Orkney-Cromarty type chambered cairn at Ledbeg, Suutherland.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
A chambered cairn near Ledbeg. One of two in this location and recorded by the OS as Cairn 'B'. For 'A' see MHG13098.
Situated on two slight knolls at NC 2343 1314 and NC 2350 1312 are two cairns.
'A': The SE cairn is 1.5m high and is overgrown but with some protruding stones, including some in the SW quadrant which look like part of a kerb. It has two slight 'horns' of earth and stone protruding from the NW side.
'B': The other cairn consists of a grass-covered platform up to 1.7m high with a pile of small stones up to 0.8m high around a central chamber and entrance passage. The chamber is polygonal and the passage entrance, with a large lintel stone in situ, is on the SE. A narrow spur of stones on the NW side of the main cairn may be the remains of 'horns' on this side.
Visited by OS (G H P) 4 June 1962.
Cairn 'B' is an Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn with a polygonal chamber, about 20' long, divided into two compartments. <1>
Visited by OS (J M) 29 July 1980.
OS plans and photos
The two cairns were proposed for Scheduling by Historic Environment Scotland as part of their North West Cairns Project. They was added to the schedule with effect from 29/08/2018. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to location of site as seen on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 586, SUT 66; plan 587.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2018. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13702: Ledbeg, two chambered cairns 675m and 725m WSW of. Historic Environment Scotland. 30/08/2018. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2346 1315 (36m by 36m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13702 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4645 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.