MHG13045 - Crannog, Loch Borralan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRANNOG (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC21SE 5 2574 1138.
An island, thought by MacIntyre to be artificial, lies in Loch Borralan in front of Altnacealgach Hotel (NC 2661 1083).
F O Blundell 1913. <1>
At NC 2574 1138, in N end of Loch Borralan, is an island and remains of causeway to it. The island, some 14m in diameter by 1.2m high, is level-topped and turf-covered; it sits in shallow water on a stony spit which shelves away sharply into deep water 2-4m out from island. Largish stones show in island shoreline, but not of a discernibly structured nature. The submerged causeway, some 10m long, is composed of large blocks, where best preserved in middle portion, is 1.3m wide.
The presence of causeway indicates a use of island, and latter in its regular plan, low profile, and general appearance leaves little doubt that it is a crannog.
Visited by OS (J M) 14 August 1980.
Visited by R Gourlay (Regional Archaeologist) in May 1987. No change to previous report.
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. This crannog appears as a circular flat-topped island approximately 8m from the shoreline of the loch. It is covered in grass with no trees. The island was about 15m in diameter and 1m high above the water line at the time of survey. A causeway is suggested from the east side connecting to the shoreline of the loch but due to high water levels it was inaccessible and therefore not wholly visible at the time of survey. No details of construction methods were visible from the shoreline. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 283.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 13, p.71.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2574 1138 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4629 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.