MHG13132 - Cross, Inchnadamph Churchyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Early Medieval - 561 AD? to 1057 AD?)
- None recorded
2 pieces of early cross. Treasure troved to Highland Council. Proposals to place them on display in the restoored church in Spring 2005 - HAW 11/2004
NB scheduled area altered 31/7/2003 - HAW 8/2003
Cross fragments found in Inchnadamph Old Parish graveyard by Ian Fisher of RCAHMS in 1993.
Two cross fragments were submitted to Treasure Trove in 2000 (TT 34/00).They were originally part of a large, plain, standing cross which was reused as a gravemarker. The fragments were allocated to Inverness Museum and are listed under Acc. Nos. 2001.048.001-002 in the IMAG catalogue. <1> <2>
Documentation including TT forms and a conservation report are available within the Inverness Museum archive files. <3>
See link below to HES Canmore record for the description of the stones from Ian Fishers 2001 publication and also pictures and illustrations of the fragments. <4> <5>
- <1> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 34/00.
- <2> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 34/00.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Fraser, D.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Eighty Fourth Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 18/05/2015. Digital. 2001.048.001-002.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 4663.
- <5> Text/Publication/Volume: Fisher, I.. 2001. Early Medieval Sculpture in the West Highlands and Islands 2001. Fisher, I.. Paper (Original). pp. 92.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2492 2199 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
- CARVED OBJECT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4663/inchnadamph-assynt-parish-church-burial-ground-and-macleod-mausoleum (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.