MHG1326 - Broch, Achies
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
'Broch', Achies East. Diameter: 44m. Circular grass-covered mound, with a circular depression 10 m diameter on its summit.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
The remains of broch, presumably contained by other structures now covered by lower mound, are as described above.
Visited by OS (J B) 24 December 1981
(ND 1400 5565) Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1970)
Although there is no trace of walling, there is no doubt that this feature, as described above, contains remains of a broch.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 25 February 1965
The remains of a broch are evidenced by a large grassy mound measuring c150ft in diameter and 12-14ft high. Above a steep scarp, which is some 6-8ft above field level, a terrace 12-20ft broad encircles mound leaving an elevated area in middle of about 78ft diameter. On summit of this is a circular depression about 28ft diameter and 5ft deep. The mound has been dug into from SE (RCAHMS 1911). When opened in 1850, human remains were found (ONB 1872). Broch (Graham 1949).
Name Book 1911; RCAHMS 1911; A Graham 1949
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Cairn (NR) Human Remains found AD. 1850 (NAT)
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 4, 127 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3372.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 31, No. 98; illust (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 94 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 94.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 31, No. 98; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 127.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1400 5565 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2235 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2235 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8303 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.