MHG1350 - St. Magnus Chapel
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOSPITAL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
ND15SE 1 1588 5487 and 1587 5486
(ND 1587 5486) Site of St Magnus's Hospital (NR)
(ND 1587 5488) St Magnus's Chapel (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
Little is known of hospital of St Magnus beyond that it was mentioned in 1476 and was still in existence in 1633. The dedication is to Norse St Magnus, who was executed in 1116.
The chapel of hospital was also church of Spittal parish, which was combined with Halkirk and Skinnet parishes in 16th century.
The site of S wall of the hospital was pointed out to OS surveyor in 1872, by which time it had been demolished for many years. It had been 102ft long.
By 1910 chapel was in ruinous condition. E gable stood 12ft high, with side walls averaging 6 to 8ft. It measured about 65 by 19ft within walls 3ft 4ins thick S wall. No decorative features are visible and interior is overgrown with nettles.
The adjoining graveyard, long used by the Clan Gunn and now neglected, was still in occasional use in 1872.
The area of both the graveyard and the church is covered with uninscribed gravestones and is enclosed by an old sunken wall.
RCAHMS 1911; 1946; D E Easson 1957; Name Book 1872; H Scott et al 1915-61
St Magnus's Chapel is as described by RCAHMS (1911). N and S walls survive to a height of 1.5m, E wall to gable height, and the W wall 1m high. The graveyard, contained within a grassy bank, has numerous gravestones, the most recent dated 1911
The site of St Magnus's Hospital appears as a rectangular sunken area measuring 30.5m E-W by 6m transversely, with what appears to be a division near its W end. Between hospital and chapel lie footings of several buildings with internal divisions, which appear to be contemporary, and associated with the hospital. S wall of these secondary buildings is also N wall of hospital, and survives to height of 0.4m.
Visited by OS (R B) 12 November 1965
St Magnus's Hospital & Chapel (NR) (remains of) (NAT)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
St Magnus's Chapel, within a disused graveyard, is as describebd by previous authorities. Hospital appears to have been incorrectly located to 'sunken rectangular area' by previous OS field surveyor this area, open at W end, is somewhat damp, and may be result of later disturbance. The stretch of walling, 6m long, exposed along N side of sunken area is not N wall of hospital as stated, but part of S wall of a range of buildings, presumably hospital, which occurs between sunken area and chapel, and which is reduced to amorphous, turf-covered footings.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 17 March 1982
Chapel and hospital, St Magnus', Spittal;
A: Chapel. Dimensions: 21 x 7m. Rectangular structure filled with rubble. Orientation E-W. An unenclosed graveyard lies to the S containing unmarked stones and three stones with inscriptions.
B: Hospital. Dimensions: 31 x 4m. A sunken rectangular area to the S of A. Orientation E-W.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 4, 162-4 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3372.
R Cachart, C Murray and D W Hall, 06/07/00, Gazetteer of Medieval Hospital Sites (Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer). SHG2644.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 28, No. 89 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Scott, H et al (eds.), 1915-61, Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation, Vol. 7, 121 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2773.
RCAHMS, 1946, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Twelfth report with an inventory of the ancient monuments of Orkney and Shetland, Vol. 2, 113 (Text/Report). SHG2661.
Easson, D E, 1957, Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, 155 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2156.
Myatt, L J, 1975, 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61, 55, 59-61 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1654.
Cowper, A S, 1983, 'Burial grounds of Caithness and Sutherland', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 1983, p.116-19, 119 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG373.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 59-61.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Easson, D E. 1957. Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man. 155.
- --- Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: R Cachart, C Murray and D W Hall. 06/07/00. Gazetteer of Medieval Hospital Sites.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1946. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Twelfth report with an inventory of the ancient monuments of Orkney and Shetland. . Vol. 2, 113.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 28, No. 89.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 7, 121.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 162-4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cowper, A S. 1983. 'Burial grounds of Caithness and Sutherland', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 1983, p.116-19. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 116-19. 119.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1587 5486 (123m by 94m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5413 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5413 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8329 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.