MHG13910 - St. Bridget's Chapel, Kilbride
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- FONT (Undated)
- None recorded
St. Bridget's Chapel (NR) (Site of)
Font and Handbell found AD1870.
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
The ONB (1875) says this was an E.C. Chapel dedicated to St. Bridget of which no trace now remains. It also records that in 1870 present tenant dug up near the site a small hand bell, now in possession of Hon. Mrs Stanley, the handle being surmounted by a cross. Also found was a stone baptismal font (See NG52SE 2 for alleged alternative find-spot for hand-bell, etc) According to Orig Paroch Scot (OPS 1854) church, dedicated to St. Bride, was used as parish church for some time before new church was built at Broadford c1840. However, this can hardly be correct as in 1795 it is described as ruinous (OSA 1795). RCAHMS (1928) says church may have stood on rocky mound about 25 yards SE of Clach-na-h-annait (NG25SE 2) but all traces of building have disappeared and exact site is not known.
OSA 1795; Orig Paroch Scot 1854; Name Book 1875; RCAHMS 1928.
The published site of St. Bridget's Chapel falls on a low knoll on top of which appear to be foundations of a small building, but without excavation it is impossible to say more. The discovery of the hand-bell in conjunction with the place-name Annait strongly suggests that this chapel is an early Celtic foundation.
Visited by OS (A C) 17 April 1961.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Skye, Book No. 10, 49 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3340.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 16, 226 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
OPS, 1854, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 344 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG341.
RCAHMS, 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, 214 (Text/Report). SHG2656.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 16, 226.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 214.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Skye, Book No. 10, 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1854. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/1. 344.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5896 2029 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11450 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.