MHG14344 - Probable burial cairn, Avielochan South
A circular cairn likely to be early prehistoric in date.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
NH91NW 3 9094 1672 to 9096 1670.
(NH 90931 672) A Clava passage-grave about 40' diameter excavated in 1909 was visited by Henshall in 1958 when the Kerb, chamber and passage were still exposed.
Finds (in the NMAS) included a fragment of a jet armlet (EQ 310) from the passage, probably secondary, and a few fragments of charcoal and microscopic snaps of bone, not certainly human, from the passage and chamber.
There was another smaller and much robbed cairn about 36ft to the SW on an extension of the knoll; about 24ft in diameter with a few low kerbstones projecting through the roof.
A S Henshall 1963; C G Cash 1910.
As described and planned by Henshall.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R L) 9 November 1966. <1>
There is some confusion in the records for the cairns at this location, which was pointed out by Susan Kruse of ARCH. The present record appears to refer to the smaller cairn described above, although the Ordnance Survey positions this to the south east of the chambered cairn and not to the south west as above. <2>
A management plan prepared in 1996 clarifies matters. It describes two cairns of which the western cairn (MHG4650) is the Clava-type passage grave and the cairn to the south-east is the one described by this record. It lies 9m to the south-east of the passage grave and is composed os a circular bank of stony material (1.5m broad, 0.3m high and 8m in diameter) with some earthfast stones visible on the east and south sides. <3>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Rechart. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 15396.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 01/03/2012.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Rees, T. 1996. Archaeological Management Plan for Avielochan Farm, Highland.. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 01/05/1996. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 8 (includes plan).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9096 1671 (11m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.