MHG15512 - Uchdachan Bridge - Corrieyairack Pass
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH 392 003 Uchdachan Bridge is a single span arched bridge, built between 1731-32 across the Allt Coire Uchdachan on General Wade's road, running N from Dalwhinnie to Fort Augustus.
The bridge was listed at Category B in 1986.
The bridge was included as part of the Corrieyairack Pass, military road, watershed to Allt Lagan a'Bhainne scheduled monument in 1994.
Due to subsidence of the arch the bridge is in a state of disrepair, and so a programme of archaeological recording was undertaken, prior to repair work being carried out.The bridge is oriented approximately E-W, built onto unlevelled bedrock and subsoil. It is a predominantly drystone structure, with some mortar rendering in places, and is composed of micaceous rocks, with the occasional granite slab. The angular stone is probably derived from a local quarry, possibly the quarry situated beside the next bridge to the N along Wade's road. The span of the arch, spandrel to spandrel, measures 5.8m, and the bridge stands to a maximum height of 2.9m. Two trenches were opened, trench 1, measuring c90cm by 90cm against the N parapet at the western end of the bridge and Trench 2, measuring c50cm by 50cm at the approximate centre of the span. Both trenches revealed a layer of dumped material representing an infill of the basic frame of the bridge. No evidence of a clay lining was found, and the upper surfaces of the arch revealed in Trench 2 indicate that the build was quite irregular (although the visible arch was more finely faced). The parapet created by the side walls is still visible above the turf line in places, and it may once have stood some courses higher.
Sponsor: Association for the Protection of Rural Scotland.
G Ewart, D Murray and D Connolly 1995.
NH 3926 0031 Further monitoring was undertaken by Kirkdale Archaeology during 1996 on the 18th-century Wade bridge. A photogrammetric record was made in advance of consolidation, and a survey record was made of exposed surfaces and features.
Sponsor: APRS Edinburgh.
G Ewart, D Murray and A Hollinrake 1996
NH30SE 3 3926 0031.
The structure was de-listed by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016 as part of military sites aspect of the Dual Designations Project. It remains part of the Scheduled Monument. <1>
See Parent record NN49NW0003 for general information on the Wade Road from Dalwhinnie to Fort Augustus over the Corrieyairack Pass
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ewart, Murray and Connolly, G, D and D. 1995. 'Uchdachan Bridge (Boleskine & Abertarff parish), 18th century bridge', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1995, p.39. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 39. 39.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ewart, Murray and Hollinrake, G, G and A. 1996. 'Uchdachan Bridge (Boleskine and Abertarff parish), 18th-century bridge', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.60. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 60. 60.
- --- Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2016. Notification of de-listing of military sites: Dual Designations Project. Historic Environment Scotland. 14/07/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3926 0031 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6140 (View online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=HL140 (View photographs and information on Scottish Highland Bridges website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/83032 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.