MHG15545 - Royal Highland Hotel - Academy Street, Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOTEL (19th Century - 1855 AD to 1858 AD)
NH64NE 216 6678 4543
For (associated) Inverness Station (NH 668 454), see NH64NE 150.00.
This hotel was opened in 1856 and purchased by the Highland Rly in 1876.
O Carter 1990.
Station Hotel, forming one side of Station Square. Begun by Joseph Mitchell c. 1855 but recast in 1858-9 by Matthews and Lawrie as a muddled Italianate composition with towers at the NW and SE; Alexander Ross added the assertive Roman Doric portico in 1898.
J Gifford 1992.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Carter, O. 1990. An illustrated history of British Railway hotels 1838-1983. 22, 26, 77, 84, 93, 121.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 199.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tatlow, P. 1985. Highland railway miscellany: a pictorial record of the company's activities in the public eye and behind the scenes. pl. 236.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6678 4541 (56m by 65m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35129 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/98133 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.