MHG1568 - Farmstead - Shurrery
A farmstead at Shurrery.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A farmstead at Shurrery, originally thought to be a long cairn and an attached enclosure.
?Longcairn set upon the flood plain of the Forss river, recorded by R Mercer in 1982 during a survey undertaken by the University of Edinburgh, one of several over a number of years in Caithness: Site FOR 307: ?Longcairn. Dimensions: 37m x.10m. Subrectangular structure with internal divisions 3m, 15m, 20m, and 28m from the SW end. Orientation: NW-SE. This is attached to a structure 15m x 10m by a wall joined to the NE end. The wall is semicircular, has a spread of 3m, and has an external diameter of 25m. The structure is subdivided 8m from the E end. Orientation: E-W. Elevation: 275' OD. ND 040580. (Fig. 22). The mound resembles a long cairn, but It is uncertain whether the C-shaped enclosure at the NE end is original to its conception or is a later structure. <1>
Not a long cairn, but a line of house foundations, yards and enclosure. Visited by A S Henshall 11 July 1987. <2>
A farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings, one of which is a long building, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xvi), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 15 September 1995.
Note: the grid reference for this site in <1> is incorrect [IS-L 22/06/2020].
GIS spatial data amended in 2020 according to the location of the site as seen on 1999-2001 vertical APs. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. pp.7, 195, FOR 307, Fig. 22.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 170.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0392 5797 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7720 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.