MHG16143 - Old Church burial ground - Applecross
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
Burial ground around the old Applecross (Clachan) Church.
The churchyard and the remains of the C7 monastery (see MHG7685) were Scheduled in 1969.
The Old Parish Church (see MHG7683) and burial ground were listed at category B on 25/03/1971.
Wester Ross Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855: Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G. Beattie & Margaret H. Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. First published 1987, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1997, with corrections. <1>
See file NG74NW0001 (MHG7685) for detailed history of the site and discussions of the extent and boundaries of the graveyard. <2>
Still maintained as a graveyard, surrounding the C19 chapel and the remains of the older church, although it should be noted that the earlier graves lie on a different alignment to the building. <3>
The ruined chapel in this burial ground is briefly discussed in a conservation report prepared by Andrew P K Wright for the main church (see MHG7683). <4> <5>
The burial ground at Applecross was visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Early 19th century church in use within historic burial ground containing ruined medieval chapel subsequently converted to burial enclosure. The more recent burials are to the west of the church, whilst the older gravestones are found to the east near the chapel structure. There are flat slabs underfoot, table-tops and predominantly, upright gravestones. There are also a couple of unusual iron gravestones. <6>
The existing gravestones were recorded during an Applecross Historical Society community project (The Clachan graveyard mapping project), which completed the survey and the production of an interactive website in 2013. <7> See link for details.
Following a site visit and assessment by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016-17 as part of the Dual Designations project, it was considered that the early Christian monastery, the cross-slab and the small roofless chapel were of national importance and would remain scheduled and would be excluded from the listed building designation. In addition, all the other memorials and the Old Parish Church were considered to be of special architectural or historic interest and would remain listed at category B. They would also be excluded from the scheduled monument. <8>
The listing and Scheduling were amended on 29/05/2017. <9>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <10>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.). 1997. Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel. 2nd. Paper (Original).
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 10/2002.
- <3> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 05/2003.
- <4> Text/Report: Wright, A P K. 04/2007. Conservation Report on Clachan Church, Applecross. Unaffiliated. Digital.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <6> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <7> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Assessment for Dual designations Project: Applecross, Old Parish Church and site of monastery LB456 & SM2802. Historic Environment Scotland. 29/03/2017. Digital.
- <8> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Applecross Historical Society. 2013. Clachan Graveyard Mapping Project.
- <9> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Denholm, L.. 2017. Notification of the amendments to the designations of Old Parish Church, Applecross. Historic Environment Scotland. 06/06/2017. Digital.
- <10> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7135 4584 (120m by 119m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB456 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2802 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.clachancemetery.org.uk/ (View on-line interactive database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/266958 (View online HES Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.