MHG16621 - Northern Warehouse, Harbour Street, Portmahomack
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STOREHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Warehouses, Portmahomack. Two handsome buildings, the older (?17th century) 2-storey, 8-bay with crow-stepped gables, and the other 3-storey, 7-bay, with ball finials on the gables, may well date from Telford's reconstruction of the harbour.
J R Hume 1977.
A number of images and a plan and elevation of the Northern Warehouse are available on Canmore (see link). <1>
Dated 1779, early 19th century rebuild incorporating (internally) 3-storey, 3-bay earlier warehouse. 3-storey,
7-bay; harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings. Originally symmetrical now some window/door alterations at ground floor north-west; regular fenestration in 1st and 2nd floors, smaller windows with some vestiges of shutters in upper floor near wallhead. Wide centre door, and similar door in 6th bay right (SW). Symmetrical rear with 3 doors (1 blocked) and 3 windows above at 1st and 2nd floors. Entrance in 1st floor of south gable, served by forestair shared with southern warehouse. Centre 1st floor door in north gable. Flat skews; dated skewputt at NW; apex stone ball finials; slate roof; stone ridge.
Built by Cromarty Estate (Earls of Cromarty, Viscount(s) Tarbat) to store grain from estates in Easter Ross. The earlier girnal is mentioned in later 17th century Cromarty papers held at Castle Leod. In 1798 Portmahomack consisted of "two stone houses for reception of rents in kind and three houses". <2>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Baldwin, J R (ed.). 1986. Firthlands of Ross and Sutherland.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, E. 1986. Late seventeenth and eighteenth century estate girnals in Easter-Ross and South-East Sutherland. SHG1943. 133-52. 133-52.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clough, M. 1986. The Cromartie Estate, 1660-1784: Aspects of trade and organisation. SHG1943. 89-98. 89-98.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 99-132.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 108153.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 14109.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9154 8467 (13m by 31m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14109 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.