MHG16662 - Free Church of Scotland, Gairloch
19th church. In use as such.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
Matthews and Laurie, 1878. Gothic; coursed rubble, tooled dressings. Symmetrical east gable frontage with side hoodmoulded entrances flanked by buttresses terminating with pinnacles; large centre hoodmoulded 2-light Gothic window with 4 lancets below lighting inner vestibule and shaped apex light above; apex bellcote with cross finials. 4-bay flanks lit by Gothic 2-light windows; advanced and gabled transept with large hoodmoulded window as in east front. Mainly lattice pane glazing; slate roof. Simple interior with original fitting and Gothic panelled gallery across east end supported on Roman Doric cast-iron columns. Spandrels of roof trusses with cusped decoration. <1>
Free Church of Scotland church in use in commanding position overlooking Loch Gairloch. There is no graveyard attached to this site. Visited and photographed during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <2><3>
<1> Historic Scotland, Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance), HB Number 7886 (Dataset). SHG24041.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7886.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8050 7603 (29m by 26m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7886 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7886 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111280 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.