MHG16815 - Site of the house of Sir Torquil & Lady Matheson, Duirinish
A timber shed which was converted to a house c.1934. The building, known latterly as Burnside, was demolished in 2011.
Type and Period (2)
- SHED (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HOUSE (Extant, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1934 AD to 2011 AD)
The listed building report for this building describes it as a mid/late 19th century, single storey, 3-bay cottage. However see below. <1>
This building was of non-standard construction and in a dilapidated state when an application was made, and granted, for listed building consent to demolish. The building is understood to have begun life as a timber shed. It had stone gables, but the front and rear elevations consisted of rendered timber which was added c.1934 when the shed was converted to a dwelling. It was considered by the Council's Conservation Officer that the extensive nature of the works required to renovate the dwelling would result in very little of the historic fabric remaining, and that it would not be possible to replicate many of the original features due to modern building regulations. Accordingly the original objection was withdrawn and the application was reluctantly supported. <2>
Photographs of the building were submitted prior to demolition. <3>
It is unclear whether the stone gables were added later or whether they represented the remains of an earlier structure, perhaps of early 19th-century date as originally suggesed by Historic Scotland. A roofed building is marked in this location on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Unfortunately the information submitted prior to demolition does not shed any further light on this. <4><5>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB6982.
- <2> Collection/Planning Archive: Highland Council Planning & Development Service. 2009-10. Planning and listed building consent submission for Burnside, Duirinish (09/00114/FULRC AND 09/00115/LBCRC).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): D Kelly Design. 2007-2009. Photographs and plan of Burnside, Duirinish. Colour. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <5> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 01/12/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7853 3138 (10m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB6982 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173072 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.