MHG16961 - Parish Room & Adjoining Cottage, Migdale Free Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- SCHOOL (Built, 19th Century to Unknown - 1846 AD)
- PARISH HALL (Built, 19th Century to Unknown - 1846 AD)
The former Migdale (Creich) free church school and adoining school teacher's house. Now in use as a parish room/hall.
Both buildings listed together at Category C in 1984: Church room; dated 1846; single storey, 4-bay room; entrance in east end bay under gabled porch. Harled; 4-pane glazing; slate roof with ventilator. Cottage; mid 19th century, single storey and attic cottage attached to hall at east gable; white washed rubble; centre door; 2 gablet dormers; 4-pane glazing; corniced and stacks: slate roof. Both buildings enclosed by dry stone retaining wall; pair square gate piers with pyramidal caps to school entrance. Parish room was former Free Church School. Adjoining cottage probably lived in by school teacher.
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites, some not directkly related to Telford, were visited and photographed by participants. <1>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6265 9214 (18m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB269 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/110978 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.