MHG17535 - Wester Cudrish Steading
The remains of a farmstead which is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1876. The remains include parts of a horse mill and gearing, and machinery in the former threshing barn.
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- TREADMILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- HORSE WHEEL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH53SW 24 5063 3442
The farm survives as an L-shaped steading with a roofless farmhouse facing SE. There are traces of a horse-mill on the NW corner of the steading. Some of the buildings depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1903, sheet 18) cannot now be seen, though they may survive under the trees.
J Wordsworth 15 December 1995; NMRS MS 961/9, no.10
This site was visited by local researcher Eddie Freeman in September 2008. The house is ruinous and unroofed with the walls partially tumbled. The main steading is roofed but collapse is imminent at one part. The second steading is roofless with tumbling walls. The horse mill and gearing is almost complete. An older building outline is visible to the north of the house under the trees. Information from R Pape, Farley, Beauly states that after the Second World War both Eastern and Wester Cudrish crofts were offered for rent of £45 pa for both. No one took up the tenancy as the nearest water was in the "Red Burn" at the main road (A833). <1>
Wordsworth J, 1995, An Archaeological Survey of a Proposed Plantation at Blairmore and Cudrish, Glencovinth (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21199.
<1> Freeman, E, 09/2008, Photographs and other information re Easter and Wester Cudrish crofts (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23988.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1995. An Archaeological Survey of a Proposed Plantation at Blairmore and Cudrish, Glencovinth. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 15/12/1995. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Freeman, E. 09/2008. Photographs and other information re Easter and Wester Cudrish crofts. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5062 3442 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/83566 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.