MHG1764 - St. Thomas's Chapel, Skinnet
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
J Aitken : 09/01/03
ND16SW 2 131 620.
(ND 1309 6205) St Thomas's Chapel (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map, (1970)
The ruins of the Chapel of St Thomas are situated about 1/3 mile NE of Skinnet farm. In pre-Reformation times this was the church of a parish subsequently united to the parish of St Fergus of Halkirk.
The S and W walls vary in height from 3 to 7ft; the N wall is reduced to 2 or 3ft, as is also the greater part of the E wall. On plan, the building has been of the chancelled type, measuring interiorly 59ft 6ins, whereof the nave measured 38ft by 16ft and the chancel about 21ft by 13ft. The walls, which have been built with clay for mortar, are 3ft 6ins in thickness. The entrance to the nave has been through the S wall at 12ft from the SW corner, while an entrance to the chancel at its W end has also been through the S wall.
At the British Linen Bank House, Thurso, there is a rough ovoid stone measuring 1ft 6ins by 1ft 3ins, with a hollow basin 8ins by 9ins in diameter and 7ins in depth, which was brought from the chapel and may have been a holy water stoup.
Standing some 6ft out from the S wall of the chapel and towards the W end of it is an upright slab, measuring 4ft 11ins in height above ground, 2ft 9ins in breadth and 5ins in thickness. On the W face are the remains of an equal-limbed Celtic cross, with a central boss 2 1/2ins in diameter from which the arms radiate. Only the upper arm remains at all perfect, the rest of the face being almost effaced owing to the flaking of the surface of the stone.
Another sculptured stone taken from the wall of this chapel, in which it has been used as building material, is in Thurso Museum. It is a rectangular upright cross slab sculptured on four faces partly in relief and partly by incision, and bears the crescent and V-rod symbol. The left side is defaced.
OSA 1795; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; T S Muir 1855; J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; RCAHMS 1911
Situated about 1/3 m. to the NE. of Skinnet farm, and about 4m. S. of Thurso, are the ruins of the Chapel of St Thomas. In pre-Reformation times this was the church of a parish subsequently united to the parish of St Fergus of Halkirk. The S. and W. walls vary in height from 3' to 7'; the N. wall is reduced to 2' or 3', as is also the greater part of the E. wall. In plan the building has been of the chancelled type, measuring interiorly 59' 6" in length-whereof the nave measured 38' x 16' and the chancel about 21' x 13', the dimunition of the width being caused by an intake of the N. wall only. The walls, which have been built with clay for mortar, are 3' 6" in thickness. The entrance to the nave has been through the S. wall. In the S. wall of the nave have been two small oblong windows 1' 9" in height and by 7" in width, passing straight through the wall for 1' 2" in height by 7" in width, passing straight through the wall for 1'2" and immediately widening thereafter to 3'. A similar window has existed in the S. wall of the chancel.
At the British Linen Bank House, Thurso, there is a rough ovoid stone measuring 1'6" x 1'3", with a hollow basin 8" x 9" in diameter and 7" in depth, which was brought from the chapel and may have been a holy-water stoup of rude workmanship.
Visited by RCAHMS, 13th August 1910
The ruins of St Thomas's Chapel, on a natural hillock within a disused graveyard, are as described above. The upright cross slab some 2m from the chapel is as described, and the other cross slab has been restored and is in Thurso Museum. See ND16NW 69.1
Visited by OS (N K B) 31 January 1958
Chapel, St Thomas'. Dimensions: 19 x 6m. Rectangular drystone structure survivng to a height of 1m, marked as St Thomas' Chapel, with tombstones set in the interior. Orientation E-W.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
See MHG13184 and MHG39850 for Pictish symbol stone and cross slab.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55-61.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 30-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 130.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Muir, T S. 1855. Notes on remains of ecclesiastical architecture and sculptured memorials in the southern division of Scotland. 105; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 19, 47.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 28-30, 122-3, Nos. 91-3, 445; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 11.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 756.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Stuart, J. 1867. Sculptured Stones of Scotland. 2. 40; pl 79.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cowan, I B. 1967. The parishes of medieval Scotland. 183.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1309 6205 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2658 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2658 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8542 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.