MHG17994 - Bloomery, Allt A' Bhealaich Mhoir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A sample was taken from a low mound of [iron] slag 4m to 5m in diameter. The mound lies in an area of grassland amidst the surrounding heather. This contains the remains of an enclosure wall and at least three rectangular structures. A C14 date of 470+/-50BP (GU-3464) was obtained from birch and alder charcoal.
Sponsor: SNH (NW Region)
J Wordsworth 1993a. <1>
Centred at this point at about 250m OD, are the remains of a small iron working site. As surviving, the iron slag is exposed in mole heaps on top of a low mound 4-5m in diameter. The site was originally revealed by ploughing for the adjoining forest. No trace of slag or other occupation material could be seen in the forest. The site lies in an area of grassland amid the more predominant heather pointing to an enriched piece of ground. The western boundary is not likely to have extended far beyond the line of the modern Garbat Forest plantation fence as the ground rises steeply to the west. The remains of two structures 5m by 2m as well as another 3m by 1 m lie within this grassland.
Slag sample was radiocarbon dated to 1413-1449 cal AD (1 sigma). <2>
Slag samples were deposited with Inverness Museum. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1993. 'Ross and Cromarty', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1993, p.48. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 48. 48.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1993. Report on the investigation of various iron-working mounds in the Ben Wyvis area in November 1992. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 6.
- <3> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4200 6714 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SLAG (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD) + Sci.Date
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/82854 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.