MHG1852 - Cross Inscribed Stone, Lybster Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
Sculptured Stone: A roughly triangular stone, about 2x3ft, lies on a grassy slope between two ranges of cottages, aligned N-S, to NE of Lybster Harbour, and some 40 yds S of northernmost cottages. An equal-limbed Celtic cross, 20ins wide, is cut across its right corner. About 1726 (Macfarlane 1906-8) the stone was said to lie 'on the face of a brae above the inlett of this burn (Risgil) to which.... many frequented in the time of superstition.'
W Macfarlane 1906-8; RCAHMS 1911.
(ND 2479 3564) This cross-inscribed stone is now in Lybster Congregational Churchyard, 13ft E of NW corner. It was moved, for its preservation, at instigation of Rev Robert Wilson on 23rd October 1935. In April 1964 clerk of Congregational Board confirmed that stone was under a shelter in churchyard. He said that it was believed to have been dug up near Well of the Brethren (ND 2424 3494) when Lybster harbour was being built several years before 1840 (NSA 1845).
NSA 1845; Info from P R Ritchie, DoE to OS (file No. SC 24028/1A)
A cross-inscribed stone, as described and illustrated by RCAHMS. Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 11 May 1967.
ND 2481 3610. This stone was moved from Lybster Congregational Church to Central Church, Lybster in 1972-3 (info from Mr Gunn, Post office, Lybster).
C Batey 1982.
The stone is under a shelter in the position noted by Batey.
Visited by OS (J M) 24 March 1983.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 15, (Caithness), 105 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 166 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 82, No. 297 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Batey, C E, 1982, Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2, No. 243 (Text/Report). SHG1960.
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 243.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 166.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, (Caithness), 105.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 82, No. 297.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2479 3609 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:613 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM613 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8619 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.