MHG18529 - Baddidarach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROFTING TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC02SE 15 084 228
A township comprising twenty-one roofed, one partially roofed and six unroofed buildings, a head dyke, and some field walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxix). Ten roofed and five unroofed buildings, some field and boundary walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 8 September 1995
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009.
The majority of the township of Baddidarach is modern, running either side of the modern road. At the SW end of the modern township a roughly metalled track approximately 1.5m wide with stone edging along one side runs to the NW, leading uphill between two rocky outcrops. Between these outcrops two small dry stone built walls run across to the edges of the trackway forming a distinct boundary.
Approximately 10m beyond this boundary on the east side of the road resting against the rocky outcrop are the remains of a small structure with only two dry-stone built walls surviving, approximately 4m by 2m, standing only to a height of 0.5m. Around 30m up hill another structure lay on the north side of the trackway, which turns to the east at this point. This structure is rectangular with an entrance in the north side and measures 6m x 3.5m and is constructed of dry stone, standing to a maximum height of c.1.5 m.
Around 20m to the NW is a slightly larger stone built house, standing up to c.3m in height, with one gable end almost complete, to the chimney. The main house is 8m long x 4m wide with a chimney at one end. The house is aligned roughly NW/SE and has an annex built onto the NW end. The structure is conjoined to a drystone enclosure. The house is constructed from quarried stone - a mix of pink/red stone and grey lewisian gneiss with squared sandstone quoins on all the corners, the stone is bonded with lime mortar and the structure has remnants of a rough lime mortar harling on the exterior. Some areas of fine lime plaster survive on the interior walls.
The house has one entranceway in the south-west side and four windows, one on either side of the doorway, one in the opposite wall, and one in the SE end wall. Large red sandstone lintels, up to c.1m in length are either in situ or lying nearby. In the NW gable wall are two fireplaces, both of which also have red sandstone lintels above. The main fireplace is on the ground floor in the centre of the wall. The second fireplace is at first floor level, smaller and slightly to the right of centre. The remains of a small iron bedstead were found within the rubble of the main house.
The annex at the NW end of the house is also built of red and grey sandstone with lime mortar, but is not of the same high quality build as the rest of the house. It stands to c. 1m in height and appears to have an entrance in the south-west side.
Approximately 40m to the ENE a curvilinear section of drystone wall was observed, c. 17m in length. It lies within an area of possible improved pasture which is probably associated with the house and other buildings. The area is relatively clear of heather and moss as compared to the surrounding moorland. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0845 2277 (480m by 562m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89521 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.