MHG1863 - Broch, Thurdistoft
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
This broch (RCAHMS 1911; Graham 1949) has the outer face of its wall exposed almost all round to a height of from 2 to 3ft, but the exact position of the entrance is obscured by vegetation. The diameter overall is 66ft, and its maximum height about 6ft. There is no indication that the interior has been excavated.
RCAHMS 1911; A Graham 1949.
The remains of this broch consist of a flat-topped, grass-covered mound, 24m diameter and 2m high. Two distinct sections of walling are visible in N and S, and there is a slight depression in the top. There is no trace of an entrance.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 16 February 1965.
The remains of broch are as described above, except that outer face of its wall can now be only discontinuously traced. The depression noted in the top by the previous field investigator is the footing of a secondary structure.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J M) 27 April 1982.
A circular, grass-covered mound, 14m in diameter and 3m high, with a central depression. Eight courses of walling are visible on the NE side. There is some tumble round the structure but cultivation comes up to its edge.
R J Mercer 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 87, No. 318 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Graham, A, 1949, 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99, 95 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1531.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 95.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 87, No. 318.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2078 6730 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:590 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM590 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8811 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.