MHG187 - Broch, Spittal Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
This "Pict's House" was opened in centre of a number of years ago, and a few small chambers were discovered.
Name Book 1871
A grassy mound evidently covering the ruins of a broch. It is about 80ft in diameter and 6 to 7ft high. The tops shows a depression about 34ft in diameter and 4 to 5ft in depth.
The mound, situated in a near-level pasture field between 300 and 350ft OD, measures 30m N-S by 26m transversely and up to 2.9m high. The central depression is 12m in diameter at the top and 4.5m in diameter at the bottom, and in the N side traces of drystone walling, to an extent of 6m are visible. The mound is the remains of a broch. No trace of chambers was seen.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 5 November 1965
The remains of this broch exist as a turf-covered, level-topped mound, 27m in diameter and now 1.7m high. The court area is defined by a central depression, 12.5m E-W by 11m transversely and 1.1m deep; about 3m within N edge of the mound, a section of the outer face of the broch is revealed as an arc of coursed slabs, 3.5m long and 0.3m high. Visited by OS (J M) 10 February 1982
'Broch'. Dimensions: 26 x 25m. Subcircular grass-covered mound 2m high much damaged by ploughing.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 12, 47 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3342.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 131, No. 474 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 131, No. 474.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 47.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1755 5437 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:582 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM582 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8336 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.