MHG18789 - Knockan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC21SW 25 centred on 211 108
NC 210 107: Cathair a' Chnocain. OS 1:10560 map (1967)
A small knoll. The name means "Seat of the Hillock".
Name Book 1875. <1>
"Cathair", in NW Scotland, means a small mound or "Fairy Seat", not "fort" as in other parts.
W J Watson 1926. <2>
A township comprising 45 roofed and two unroofed buildings is depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xci). 16 roofed, one partially roofed and fourteen unroofed buildings, and four unroofed structures are shown on current edition of OS 1:10,560 map (1967).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 20 September 1995
The modern township of Knockan has grown from the original settlement depicted on early maps. Few traces of the early settlement survive, having been developed by modern construction. <3>
- <1> SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 230.
- <2> SHG2918 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 222.
- <3> SHG24882 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 111, p.119.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2109 1080 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89590 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.