MHG18796 - Enclosures, Field Systems, Mill - Achadh Na H-Aghan
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- LAZY BEDS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC21SW 29 204 104
'Field of the Face (Bareface).' Two small fields, originally cultivated.
Name Book 1878 <1>
Two conjoining enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xci). The enclosure to the E is similarly shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1967), but that to the W is shown to be incomplete.
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 17 October 1995
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009.
107A - A ruinous semi-circular stone dyke 60m by 30m standing to 0.4m with a wall thickness of 1.5m.
107B - A dry stone croft building measuring 11m by 4m and standing 1.2m high, with one large room and two small. The large room has a small division in its north corner, possibly secondary. The walls survive up to 1.2m in places in up to five varied rubble courses with stones averaging 0.5 x0.2m. There are very good views to the north and north-east.
107C - A dry stone, horizontal water mill situated to the east of the river, against a natural rock outcrop. The interior is very rubble filled but the lade is still visible. The building is rectangular in shape, 6m x 3.5m aligned E-W, and standing up to 1.6m high. The lade is 0.6m wide and the wheel pit 1.5m in diameter; the mill stone is still in situ . A possible entrance is visible on the east side.
100m north of 107C is a drystone building which was not accessible due to a deer fence. It is approximately 20m wide.
107D - A linear dyke aligned E-W, east of 107C, constructed of stone and earth and measuring 40m by 1m and up to 0.5m in height.
107E - A curvilinear earth and stone dyke, starting at the road and running 300m down to the river, 1.2m wide, 1m high with a ditch (2m wide by 0.8m deep) on its west side.
107F - Clearance cairns comprising two small heaps of stones 5m apart and about 3m in diameter and 1m high.
107G - A curvilinear earth and stone dyke, 150m x 1.5m wide on average, curves around HLP110, was perhaps originally joined to 107D. <2>
A number of photographs of the curvilinear dyke (107E) running between the two chambered cairns was forwarded to the HER in November 2010. A number of areas of lazy beds are visible on the ground, and from aerial photography. <3><4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book no. 1, 235.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 107, p.117; p.50-1; fig.46.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Woodley, H. 11/2010. Information and photographs from Helen Woodley. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Dataset/Geospatial Data: ESRI. ESRI World Imagery.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2029 1044 (527m by 155m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/89594 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.