MHG1928 - Thrumster 'Little' Broch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
Broch, Thrumster Little: The ruin is mostly beneath a grassy mound, which is about 9ft above the level of the field, but the whole of the outer circumference of the broch is visible and shows an overall diameter of 56.5ft. The interior is only partly cleared and the assumed internal diameter is about 30.5ft. <1>
The whole of the outer circumference of the broch, although fragmentary in places, is visible. It has an over all diameter of 17m, and the outer wall face has a max height of 1.5m. The entrance, 1m wide, is on E side and has an exposed length of 2.5m. On the left side of the entrance, 1.2m in, is a check-stone. There are fragmentary traces of what is probably the inner wall face to the left of the entrance giving the wall a width of some 3.8m. The interior is a mutilated mass of turf-covered stones in which no broch features were seen. The remains have an over all height of 2.7m above the surrounding ground level.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 22 April 1963.
No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 August 1982.
The site was visited by C Dagg in 2000 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed new water main. It was noted as being a clearly visible, well-preserved feature lying next to the track to the farm. It lay within 50m of the proposed pipeline route but would probably not be affected by associated works. <1>
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 146, No. 503 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<2> Dagg C, Water Mains Stemster-Haster-Reiss-Toftcarl, Site 22 (Text/Report). SHG21043.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 146, No. 503.
- <2> Text/Report: Dagg C. Water Mains Stemster-Haster-Reiss-Toftcarl. . . Site 22.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3383 4583 (45m by 41m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:589 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM589 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8972 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.