MHG19302 - Corn Mill, Spinningdale Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Undated)
- None recorded
NH69SE 35 6567 9055
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p. 219) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
A roofed corn mill and an unroofed building are depicted on 1st edition of OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 22 November 1995.
This mill and adjacent building were visited during course of a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.7). The mill measures 7m by 4m with N gable wall standing up to 1.7m in height. Adjacent to this gable end is a wheel pit for a small overshot or breastshot vertical wheel fed by a stone-lined lade. A well-graded track runs up from mill to the building which was depicted, roofless, on 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi). This building, which is defined by low rubble footings, measures 6m by 3.5m.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.7
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5km2 of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.
NH 6567 9055 Mill; building. (NMRS NH 69 SE 35)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
The mill is mentioned in a document of 1815: Donald Munro tenant in Lonemore testifies that he is “well acquainted with the Miln called Muillin-sufeeah upon the burn issuing from Loch Migdol, the meaning of which the Interpreter stated to mean the Miln of the fairies… also called mullin gleannan meaning the Miln in the Glen… he does not know when this Miln was built but it was built before he was born, … belongs to the Estate of Skibo…“Miln called the Miln of the fairies was only used when they could not command water at the other Miln of Migdol” [other end of Loch Migdale]’ (NRS CS235/G/30/1). Information from researches by Malcolm Bangor-Jones.
This mill is on the first edition OS map of the 1870s, but marked as unroofed on the 2nd ed map of 1904. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Susan Kruse. 2014. Ledmore and Migdale Memories Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6566 9055 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/91385 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.