MHG1938 - Broch, Watenan North
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
Remains of broch, almost entirely overgrown, stand on a grassy mound. Wall faces and a chamber have been exposed and suggest that diameter of the broch was about 63ft and wall thickness 12ft. 'The elevation of structure is about 8ft.' Between the base of broch and the edge of mound on E is a considerable area showing signs of buildings.
'On SE a small isolated mound some 5ft in height is cut off from the main hillock by a trench about 28ft in width, and signs of a similar trench are visible on N with a slight elevation beyond it.'
The grass-covered remains of a broch, situated on an artificially scarped mound, as described by RCAHMS. Minor quarrying in S of the broch has revealed a further mural cell.
The isolated mound to SE is apparently an extension of natural mound on which the broch stands, and trench between is probably remains of a ditch which originally surrounded the broch mound. Vague traces of the ditch can also be seen to the N.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1967.
Broch 'Watenan North' from NNW. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11919.
Broch, L. Watenan, Caithness (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG9590.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3925.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 163-4, No. 524 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Broch 'Watenan North' from NNW.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 163-4, No. 524.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Broch, L. Watenan, Caithness. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3179 4145 (70m by 70m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:696 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM696 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8983 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.