MHG1946 - Broch, Watenan South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
A small fort, dimensions of which (but for absence of debris) would suggest a broch, is situated on crest of a rocky ridge. It comprises a circular area, 27ft diameter, within a wall some 12ft thick and 3-4ft high, possibly entered from SE, and is set eccentrically within another wall some 12-18ft thick which surrounds it at varying distances up to 30ft.
'From E end of N front a bank or wall apparently connects the two lines of circumvallation. At N extremity the outer wall presents a scarp about 10ft in height, with a shallow ditch some 10ft in width at the base of it. On S this wall is less prominent... the ditch is visible at this end also.
The turf-covered remains of a broch (not a fort as claimed above) within an outer defensive work, as described by RCAHMS.
One course of heavy stone walling protrudes through turf in S of the broch for a short distance, and a slight depression around the top of the rampart, together with a more lush growth of turf, indicates a mural passage. The entrance through outer defences is in SW. The absence of debris is probably due to later robbing.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1967.
The site was visited and photographed by C Jones in April 2011. <1>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 164, No. 526 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<1> Headland Archaeology, 2012, Beatrice offshore Wind farm: Environmental Statement (Text/Report/Environmental Statement). SHG26489.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 164, No. 526.
- <1> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: Headland Archaeology. 2012. Beatrice offshore Wind farm: Environmental Statement. Arcus Renewable Energy Consulting Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3171 4114 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:607 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM607 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8994 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.