MHG19771 - Lochinver Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) SAW MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The saw mill (NC02SE 21) is still worked but now electrically operated, wheel having been removed. No evidence of 'Mill Town' (name is not known locally) was seen; area lies within the grounds of 'Culag' Hotel and has been generally parked and planted.
Visited by OS (F R H) 12 May 1962.
Culag Mill worked as a meal mill until the 1890's and possibly later. Converted to saw milling, it served this purpose until 1930's. Building is still in fair condition, but water wheel and machinery have been removed. <1>
(Location cited as NC 095 221). Sawmill and corn mill, Lochinver, 18-19th century. The sawmill is a rectangular one-storey and basement rubble building with a cirrugated-iron roof, and the corn mill is a two-storey rubble building on an irregular plan, with a wooden external stair. A waterwheel (or wheels) was (or were) mounted between the mills. The sawmill is disused, and the corn mill is now a dwelling-house.
J R Hume 1977. <2>
No change except that the mill (NC02SE 21) is no longer in operation. The former mill wheel was of the vertical type.
Visited by OS (J B) 11 August 1980.
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. The mill is a combination of two buildings aligned roughly NW-SE just to the south of the bridge across the river at Lochinver. The 18th/19th century buildings consist of a rectangular, one-storey, rubble stone building, now unroofed, which was a sawmill. Directly across the lade and attached to it by a small metal bridge is a much larger two-storey, rubble stone building. This was cornmill and has now been converted to modern housing. The lade which separates them is approximately 1.5m wide and rock-cut, taken from a bend in the river higher upstream to the south-west. Towards the upper end of the lade the sides are rendered rubble walling. The sawmill building has several blocked up openings in each of its walls, some are blocked with modern breeze-block material and some with much older masonry. <3>
- <1> SHG364 Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. 205.
- <2> SHG2332 Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 310.
- <3> SHG24882 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 54, p.88.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0945 2204 (40m by 31m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95634 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.