MHG2014 - Hut circle w finds, Ackergill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- MIDDEN (Undated)
- None recorded
Hut Circle, Ackergill: This lies in a sandy hollow 50-60ft above high water mark and about a mile NW of Ackergill Tower. It is 12ft in diameter internally N-S and 10.5ft E-W with walls now 1.5ft high. The paved floor yielded two implements of iron, resembling punches.
To N is a large kitchen midden, but whether associated or of a different date is not known. Few relics were discovered.
Cree, who excavated the site, dates the hut circle to Early Iron Age - provided the iron implements have not worked down from the surface. RCAHMS 1911; J E Cree 1911.
A crutch-headed bone pin, 3 9/16ins long, from kitchen midden, was purchased for NMAS in 1939.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1939.
Despite an extensive search along sand dunes between Ackergill Tower (ND 352 546) and ND 343 559, no trace of the hut circle or kitchen midden was seen. Local enquiries proved negative.
Visited by OS (E G C) 22 April 1963.
ND 3463 5530. The overgrown remains of a structure of unknown period comprising a amound with walling, 10m E-W, 3.6m N-S and 0.52m high, lying on the upper dune surface. A wall about 24m long lies 20m S of the structure.
C E Batey 1981.
The hut circle excavated by Cree and structure described and planned by Batey are the same feature, located at ND 3460 5530 in a dune landscape. Some of the walling is still exposed but sand-blow has obscured details. The wall 24m long noted by Batey appears to be the E side of a barely discernible track. No kitchen midden can be identified.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 2 September 1982.
Cree, J E, 1911, 'Notice of the excavation of a hut-circle near Ackergill Tower, Wick', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.181-6, 181, 186; plan, illust (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1279.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 166-7, No. 532 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
PSAS, 1939, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 73 1938-9, p.328-44, 333 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG575.
Batey, C E, 1981, Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report, Wic 125, 128; plan (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG1959.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cree, J E. 1911. 'Notice of the excavation of a hut-circle near Ackergill Tower, Wick', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.181-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 181-6. 181, 186; plan, illust.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1981. Caithness coastal survey 1981: interim report. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. . Wic 125, 128; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 166-7, No. 532.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1939. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 73 1938-9, p.328-44. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-44. 333.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3460 5530 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- PIN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9125 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.