MHG2085 - Wick Harbour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HARBOUR (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Letter from HS received 21/1/03. Wick Harbour Coast Protection Scheme 2002.
See Assoc. Docs. File
(Location cited as ND 368 505). Pultneytown Harbour. Built from 1824, first engineer Thomas Telford. The main harbour consists of two irregularly-shaped large basins, with a massive breakwater terminating in a lighthouse with a tapering octagonal tower. The other fixed light is on four cast-iron legs. At the extreme landward end of the inner basin is a boat slip. The harbour works are largely executed in mass concrete.
J R Hume 1977.
The Inner Harbour on S (or Pultneytown) side of Wick Bay was built in 1808 by George Burn and reconstructed by Thomas Telford in 1824-31; it forms a roughly triangular basin. In 1862-7 the Outer Harbour to SE was begun with building of the South Pier, designed by D and T Stevenson. The protection offered by this Outer Harbour was much improved in 1882-7, when James Barron extended the South Pier and added a breakwater to the Inner Harbour's North Pier to cover the Outer's previously open NE side. At the same time the old part of the North Pier was broadened and a new harbour (the River Basin) formed at the mouth of the Wick River by the construction of the South River Pier (extending N from the North Pier) and of the North River Pier (from the river's N bank. Most of what is now visible is Barron's work, concrete the dominant material. Lighthouse at the end of the South pier, a tapering octagonal tower.
J Gifford 1992.
REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
RHP 8722 and 8724, Robt. Stevenson 1822 - plan & section of imp to harbour
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 239.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 141-2.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 201.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 170.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3683 5063 (363m by 347m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9204 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.